Saturday, November 7, 2009

"Better Than Jon Fairbanks in the hot-tub" Tortellini Soup


This may be my most scandalous post yet... but I'm sure you have heard of "Better than S--" cake. Well this soup is in the same vein. This soup is one of my new favorites and Jon Fairbanks was really one of my favorite boyfriends. A lot of times the recipes I post are named after guys I just went out on one or two dates with. But Jon was my boyfriend for about 4 months and in those months there was an infamous "incident" in a hot-tub that my dear friend and roommate, Kj, witnessed and reminded me of when I was in Texas visiting her last month. (In fact she reminded me of a few other choice, juicy events from my college days that I haven't disclosed yet but believe me when you see a dish bearing the name Steve Stockard- it will be a complete guilty pleasure with almost no nutritional value;)! Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. You were forewarned!) But back to why I am naming this soup after Jon Fairbanks. Jon was and I'm sure still is a great guy. He has honest, a gentleman and HOT! And this soup is all those things. Not really sure how a soup can be a gentleman but somehow it works. And even though things eventually had to end, when they did Jon was nothing but forthright and open. I was sad the relationship ended but grateful for the experience. And this soup will leave you with the same feeling. When you look into your empty bowl with just the spoon sitting in there you will be sad the meal is over, but completely satisfied with the experience. Who knew that both soup and old boyfriends could be so filling?!?

1 lb. italian turkey sausage (You can use regular sausage but it is completely fine without it.)

1 small onion chopped

2 cloves garlic, chopped

5 C. beef broth

1/2c. water

1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes

1 c. thinly sliced carrots

1 1/2c. sliced zucchini

1/2 tsp. basil

1/2 tsp. oregano

1/2 tsp. parsley

1 (8oz.) can tomato sauce

2 C. cheese tortellini

Parmesan cheese for the top.

Brown meat and then remove from pot. Saute onion, garlic, carrots and zucchini in the oil from the meat. You may need to add a little extra oil if you have really lean meat. When veggies are translucent- about 5 minutes- add sausage back in with broth, water, tomatoes, tomato sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add tortellini and cover and simmer for 35-40 mroe minutes. Top with cheese.

I have a secret ingredient I put in almost all my soups, except maybe chili. I have kept it secret because it is kind of obscure, but it really does put your soup over the top. It is a parmesan cheese rind. It gives your soup a smooth, creamy flavor and adds a bit of saltiness. If you buy the more expensive parmesan cheese and save the rind once you are done using the cheese, you can save it in your freezer for soups. And it goes well in this soup. You just put it in with the rest of the liquid ingredients and let it simmer. Sometimes it dissolves completely and other times you have to fish it out. I have heard that you can buy parmesan cheese rinds at the deli counter at Harmans but I have yet to check it out myself. Oh and for the record, Jon's secret ingredient was his abs. I saw those in the hot-tub!

4 comments:

Kamille said...

You seriously make me laugh!!!

Julie said...

So funny.

Stacey said...

OH MY GOSH! It is 11:30pm and I am giggling outloud reading this post! Ah, the memories... Jon and the hot-tub... I am making this recipe tomorrow, because if this soup is half as exciting as it was to just WATCH you and Jon in the hot-tub, then it must be fabulous.

Can't wait for the Steve Spendlove recipe... (hee hee!)

Tamra said...

Is there a meal named after your husband?