Friday, March 11, 2011

Non-Peep Lover's Frosting


I want to start this recipe post out with a brief discussion about Peeps... you know those little spongy, marshmallow-y candy that come out at Easter time in the shape of chickens or rabbits. I have found that there are two kinds of people in this world... Those you love Peeps and those who hate them. There is no middle ground in this matter. If you don't believe me, do your own research. I can guarantee that you will come up with the same result. I am in the latter category. They are way too sweet for me and I can't stand the texture. Which brings me to the recipe I am posting. No, it isn't a recipe for Peeps, it is a recipe for frosting. Now I haven't done any hard research on this- like I did with my whole Peep theory- but I can imagine that if you are a Peep-Lover, you also love the super sugary frosting that is found on most cakes and cookies these days. I personally find that frosting makes my teeth hurt. So I was so happy when I found this recipe for a frosting for all you fellow Non-Peep lovers out there that isn't too sweet. It compliments cakes and cookies with more of a buttery, rich flavor. My four year old said it tasted like ice cream. I can think of no better description.
Non-Peep Lover's Frosting
3/4 c. sugar
1/8 c. flour
1 1/2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
12 Tbsp (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened and cut into 12 pieces.
Combine sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt in medium bowl. Slowly whisk in milk until smooth. Pour into a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture boils and is very thick, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer milk mixture to a clean bowl and cool to room temperature, about 2 hours.
Using a stand mixer, beat cooled milk mixture and vanilla on low speed until combined, about 30 seconds. Add butter, 1 piece at a time and beat until incorporated, about 2 minutes, Increase speed to medium high and beat until frosting is light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. It will take the full 5 minutes to get it to the right consistency, so don't get impatient and turn the mixer off early. For the best spreading consistency, let the frosting sit at room temperature for about an hour.
You could also make this a cream cheese frosting by reducing the butter to 8 tbsp. and then adding 4 oz. of softened cream cheese, cut into pieces- which is also extremely tasty.
I know this frosting is a bit labor intensive and you have to plan ahead to make it, but it is soooooo worth it. I think, no, I KNOW I could eat it alone- and I could never say that about regular frosting or Peeps!
P.S.- No boyfriends were used in the naming of this recipe because I just couldn't find one that worked. And I didn't want to force it. It's a strict rule I have in life- "Never force an old boyfriend into a recipe name." It's a good rule. You should use it!

No comments: