Tuesday, November 4, 2008

"Robert Hales was such a Turkey Meatloaf"

No, I didn't date the General Authority Robert Hales- but the Robert Hales I did date told me he was his son and I believed him for a long time. Until I was watching General Conference one time and Elder Hales was talking about his family. He mentioned his three daughters but said nothing about a son. I immediately marched over to his-the Robert Hales I had dated-apartment and found him sitting there with a sly look on his face. Therefore this dish is named after him. So if that Robert Hales googles his name and finds it in this recipe- I don't think he will be surprised. He was a turkey- albeit a cute and funny one! Anyway- I thought this recipe would be a good November one. I really like the combination of turkey and cranberry and the leftovers makes a really good sandwich. (Incidentally- A leftover turkey meatloaf sandwich sounds like something a 1950's wife would pack her husband for lunch in one of those little tin lunch boxes with a Thermos of milk. But don't let that stop you from trying it. Trust me- it makes a tasty sandwich!)
1 lb ground turkey
1/3 c milk
1/3 c bread brumbs- or a leftover piece of bread
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 small carrot- grated
1/2 onion- grated
1 egg
Topping:
1/4 c ketchup
1/4 c cranberry sauce
1 TBS prepared mustard
1 TBS brown sugar
Pour milk over bread crumbs. Add turkey, salt, pepper, thyme, carrot, onion and egg. Mix thoroughly. Form in a loaf pan. Mix together ketchup, brown sugar, cranberry sauce and mustard and pour about 1/2 over meat. Save the rest to top the meatloaf once it is done. Bake at 300 for 1 1/2 hours until meat is no longer pink.

No comments: