Friday, March 6, 2009

Xiau Long Bau

This dish was and is one of our favorite meals from Taiwan. We would eat these more than once every week with a side dish of cucumbers Chinese style. I got this recipe from a Chinese cookbook and I have made it my own. The best about this recipe is that you can purchase ALL ingredients at a regular grocery store. I encourage all of you to try this recipe out. It may be a little intimidating just because my bamboo steamer looks so ligit....well it is. But before I got the bamboo steamer (which you can buy online or at any specialty cooking store) I cooked these babies in my rice cooker using a tray in the top for steaming. Anyway....here is the recipe.


Xiau Long Bau


Meat Mixture
2 lb. ground pork
2 T. scallions
2 heaping t. fresh, diced (tiny) ginger
1 1/2 t. salt
3 t. soy sauce
3 t. sugar
3 T. Sesame oil
9 T. water

Mix together and let it sit while you make the dough. The flavors and smell will only get better and stronger as they gell together.

Dough

1 1/2 c. warm water
1 t. sugar
1 T. yeast

Stir together and let sit.

Then add
2 1/2 c. flour
Mix and let it rise.

Combine in a second bowl

1 c. flour
1 T. dry milk
1 T. shortening
3 T. sugar
1/2 t. salt


Add to risen dough. I made this in my bosch and it made it very simple.

On a flat and floured surface put these little pieces of heaven together. Grab a little ball of dough and put some flour on the palm of your hand. Flatten dough on your hand into a nice flat circle. Put a spoonful of pork mixture in the center and close up. Place finished balls on a circular cloth. (about the size of your steamer)

Steam for 15 minutes over boiling water.

Eat, by dipping into individual sauce.

Sauce may include soy sauce, red vinegar, red chili oil and strips of fresh ginger. Mix together according to taste.

3 comments:

newsinaminute said...

looks delicious I'll try 'em
Lynda

Anonymous said...

Oh wow!!! I'm so glad you posted this. This was my favorite food in Taiwan and I've been craving it. I'm ordering a bamboo steamer today! Thanks! :D

Kelly said...

The next time you make this, PLEASE call me over so I can sample just 1. I am dying to. I will never have the bravado to try it myself so you are my only hope, Julie :0)