Saturday, July 18, 2009

Mike I Dare you to make these Turkey Burgers

Julie and I were in charge of cooking club this month so I have a three recipes to post and three boyfriends to name them after. That's a band of boyfriends but not to worry- my past can handle it. Oh, and no boyfriends were harmed in the naming of these recipes.
Mike I Dare you to make these Turkey Burgers
So confession time- Mike Dare was not my boyfriend- he was my roommate's. But she was on a mission and Mike missed her so he and a friend took me and another roommate out on a date so he could be reminded of her. So I was a good substitute for his real love. So if the men in your home have a devoted, true love to beef hamburgers then I dare you to make these turkey burgers. They really are quite good and a good alternative to ground beef. Your family may find that if they are not near the one they love, they love the one they are near.
1 lb- lean ground turkey
1/4 c. bread crumbs
1/4 c. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. horseradish cream
1 clove minced garlic
1 1/2 tsp. lime juice
1/2 tsp. sesame oil
1 good pinch black pepper
6 slices of Havarti cheese
guacamole
lettuce
cucumber slices
mayo
6 Hamburger buns
In a medium mixing bowl whisk together soysauce, horseradish cream, garlic, lime juice, sesame oil and pepper. Add turkey and bread crumbs and mix together just until combined and seasonings are dispersed well through meat. Be careful not to over work or burgers could get tough.
Divide meat into six burgers. Meat should be soft. Preheat grill. Place patties on hot grill and cook until good and brown on bottom, about 4-5 minutes. Carefully flip and cook for another 4- 5 minutes. Once they are done I transfer them to a part of my grill that isn't on- like a rack on the top or a side that isn't on. Then I put a slice of cheese on top and let it melt while I toast the buns on the grill for a minute.
Then I put a layer of mayo, guacamole, lettuce and cucumbers on the bun with the burger. Then enjoy.
As for the potatoes in the picture- you'll have to wait for Julie to post her recipe for "Chad's Crazy Coconut Couch Potatoes- Maughan" (said like 'mon' with a Jamaican accent if you please.)

No comments: