Monday, October 11, 2010

The Spaghetti Sauce that isn't quite as famous as James Dashner but almost.

James Dashner was my very first date and honestly he has always been more like a brother to me than anything else. In fact I think after he took me to TCBY for our date, he went on another date with the girl he really liked. Which I'm sure was fine with me. But Jamie, as I remember him as, is now the most famous person I have ever dated. He is the author of "The Maze Runner" and the sequel to that book- "The Scorch Trials" comes out this week. So I thought it only fitting that this recipe carry his name this week. Because this is one of my most requested-"famous" if you will- recipes. And although it isn't as famous as James, it is more tasty.

The Spaghetti Sauce that isn't quite as famous as James Dashner but almost
22 cups raw, peeled blended tomates- To peel tomatoes, bring water almost to a boil in a large pan. Submerge tomatoes for a few minutes. Then remove and let cool or put in a bowl of cool water. The skins should come off easily. Put tomatoes in a blender, puree and then put into a large pot. Repeat this process until you have 22 cups. Also I usually use roma tomatoes. They make the thickest sauce.
4 onions chopped or 1 c. dry onions
4 cans tomato paste- the small ones.
2 tbsp. salt
2 tbsp. sugar
4 tbsp. oregano
4 tbsp. basil
4 cloves of garlic or 1 tsp. garlic powder
2 bay leaves
After you have 22 cups of blended tomatoes in a large pot, add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and ccok for 30 minutes. Then put sauce in pint or quart jars. Wipe off lid of jar and put new lids on. Then put your rings on. Process pints for 20 minutes and quarts for 25 minutes in a boiling water bath. This recipe makes about 6 quarts or 12 pints.
You can use this sauce wherever you would use a marinara or spaghetti sauce... for regular spaghetti, pizza, lasagna, meatball subs, chicken parmigana, etc. One trick Eric taught me with this sauce is when you are warming it up to add to your dishes add about a tsp. of sugar and a tsp. of either balsamic or red wine vinegar. (If you are using a full quart add a TBSP of each.) The sugar softens the acidity of the tomatoes and the vinegar adds a depth of flavor. Doing this will make your sauce even more famous than James Dashner!

No comments: