Saturday, December 29, 2012

Richard "Savage"-ly Easy Pie Crust



So it has been awhile since anyone, including me, has posted on this recipe blog.  But I recently found a pie crust recipe that was so easy and good that I just had to post it. 
But first the name- Richard Savage.  I dated him briefly after I graduated from college.  The two things I remember about him are 1. He was BYU's mascot- Cosmo- for a year and while I dated him I had to keep that quiet because it is a fiercely guarded secret, but since I wasn't a student at the time- I could know- as long as I could keep my "piehole" shut! (Can you see where I am going with this?)  2. He was very hairy.  I mean "take off your shirt and you still look like you have a shirt on" hairy!  I don't think this is why he got the job as Cosmo but it may have helped.  But it may well be why he didn't get the job of being my husband.  He was a super nice and funny guy who could do an incredible backflip but I like my men pretty hairless and I just couldn't get past all that hair.  (When I write up these recipes and the meanings behind their names, I realize how incredibly shallow I was during my dating years!) 
But this pie crust is so incredibly easy that you don't even need a rolling pin!  I have tried many pie crust recipes over the years and I have never found one that is consistent.  They always call for you to add a varying amount of water and I am just no good at being able to tell when I have added enough water.  Plus I can never make a pretty decorative edge because I tend to make my crust crumbly and it won't stay.  But I found this recipe at Thanksgiving and made 4 pies with beautiful decorative edges with no problems.  Then I used it again on Christmas morning for quiches and even my mother-in-law commented on how delicious, tender yet flaky it was.  It was then that I decided that this recipe must be shared because I figure if it can please the in-laws "pieholes", it can please anyone's "piehole".  And that's no secret!

Richard "Savage"-ly Easy Pie Crust.
Makes 1 9" pie crust
1 1/4c. flour
2 TBSP sugar
1/4 tsp salt
8 TBSP butter (1 stick), softened but still cool
2 oz cream cheese, softened but still cool

Lightly coat a 9 inch pie plate with cooking spray.  Whisk flour, sugar, and salt together in a bowl.
With electric mixer at medium speed, beat butter and cream cheese in a large bowl, stopping once or twice to scrape down beater and sides of the bowl, until comnpletely mixed together, about 2 minutes.  Add flour mixture and combine on medium low until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal, about 20 seconds.  Scrape down sides of bowl.  Increase speed to medium high and beat until dough begins to form large clumps, about 30 seconds. Reserve 3 tablespoons of dough.  Turn remaining dough onto floured surface, gather into a ball and flatten into a 6-inch disk.  Transfer disk to greased pie plate.
Press dough evenly over bottom of pie plate toward sides, using heel of your hand.  With your fingertips, continue to work dough over bottom of plate and up sides until evenly distributed.
Take the 3 reserved tablespoons of dough and roll each into approx. 8 inch ropes.  Place each rope on the edge of the pie plate and then gently press together and then gently press the "ropes" to the edge of the crust coming up the sides of the plate.  This way you are connecting your decorative edge to the rest of the pie.  Once you have done this you can make whatever design you want on the edge- fluted with your fingers-like in my picture above or make lines with a fork.

No comments: